Take advantage of the mobile evolution
Published 09.11.2017 - Last update 01.21.2020
Jason Jurna-Ross (Facebook), Sam Christou (Google), Simon Ross (UberEats)
- Ensure your website is optimised for mobile users – Of the people that use smartphones – 70% are using them at home so it’s important that they are able to access your website! Google will recognise a mobile optimised website and rank it higher on search results. Mobile use spikes on morning commutes, lunchtime and when you get hom -look to do paid search around those times of day.
- Who are you targeting? – Make sure you are targeting the correct demographic e.g. people who like a particular cuisine, people in the area of the restaurant. Then go out and engage with them – video works really well.
- Don’t think about likes and shares – Think about real business results and whether your social media account has had an impact on your business.
- Mobile payments have become huge in 2017 – the tech industry is looking to replace credit cards with mobile phones and are hoping to gain a lot of data as to how people use their phones from this.
- “We know where you’re heading, we know your preferences – do you want to order your favourite food on your way home?” – this may be the next big thing, says Simon from UberEats.
- “Google My Business” – Claim your business to update your opening hours and contact details. This service is free on Google search and you can find out more here.
- Test and learn all the apps – Start to understand how your customers are engaging with certain products and why they are engaging.
- Be clear on what your goals are – Do you want more customers or do you want more delivery orders? Once you identify your objectives, you can use the right avenue to accomplish them e.g. buy paid ads, set up an Instagram page.
- Use geotags in your website – This will ensure that when people are searching for restaurants in your area, that yours show up!
- Tips and tricks to improve how your restaurant sits on Google
- It’s not purely based on price
- Quality score – what you need to focus your time and attention on
- Having a good mobile optimised site definitely helps
- The more specific you are, the higher the conversion rate will be. It’s all about talking to the right people
Google My Business
Digital Garage (online marketing)
Mobile Design Principles
Thanks to Tonic PR for these notes.